Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Way too long


At the end of last night’s drawing session, Pat told me that it’s been way too long since my last blog. This was accompanied by an exaggerated rolling of the eyes. Which was very impressive for an Asian guy. So, after a good laugh and mourning the season end of Burn Notice, I told him that I would write a post this morning just for him.

I like it when I get a good female back, and Irene packs good back. Faces are all about details, and that is a battle fought one inch at a time. The front is a symphony of contrasts, and one must try to conduct that beautiful noise into music. The side is a UFC caged fight between the poet and the mathematician, and they both will make arguments of whom is best at handling a particular curve or angle. Each of these areas call on a different artistic discipline and approach. But then you have the back, and it requires all of those disciplines at once. This is not to say that it is more or less difficult, but that it needs a holistic mind to drive your hand.

I think of placing shapes in space when I'm drawing every other part of the figure, and those shapes go from simple to progressively more complex. When I'm drawing a back it's the opposite. I think of removing shapes from the given space, and it's more like uncovering than it is like building.

14 comments:

Brian Churilla said...

Beautiful piece. Thanks for posting. Lots of subtleties and nuance. I love your breakdown of the various vantage points of the torso. And I agree, more more more! Posting, that is.

Jake Ekiss said...

"I like it when I get a good female back, and Irene packs good back."

Truer words may never have been spoken. Great piece as usual. I'm still horribly envious of you guys and the draw nights. I think the guys from Space-Gun and I will be visiting town sometime early to mid August. I'm hoping we'll be around for one of those. I haven't gotten to draw a good life model in ages.

Patman said...

Jake, make sure you show up on a Tuesday night!

Beholder of the impressive Asian eye-roll...

Pointpusher said...

Man. Your use of color just floors me. Please post more often if you can. Beautiful stuff.

John H. said...

Patman,

'Asian eye roll'. Be ve...r..y

careful, I'm imagining rice and

seaweed wrapped around a human

eyeball !!!!!


John H.

Tony Shasteen said...

"This was accompanied by an exaggerated rolling of the eyes. Which was very impressive for an Asian guy"


Hahahahaha!

Brian said...

Stunning piece 'Freeze!

Thanks for showing us how it's done.

Kennis Thomas said...

wholly moses. Brian, I just found your blog through twitter and I have stayed up way too late going through all of last years stuff. Great work. This forum seems to work for someone like you who leans toward the instructional. Great to see different kinds of work from you.

COMIKXGUY said...

your slackin' again :)

but it's soooo worth the wait

Caleb King said...

Great pastel work!

I worked with chalk pastels for a semester in college and by the end of the class finally got comfortable. I haven't really worked with them since. . .

Maybe I should dig them out of my box again.

Tripper said...

And it's been too long since your last blog post dude. One of these days I'll be able to show you guys the E-Man.

Rog

riq said...

MORE.!!

bhudz said...

Gorgeous drawing!

augustwalker said...

Download update Garmin Map express ,Get the latest street maps and points of interest for all Garmin product categories: automotive, golf, marine, aviation, outdoor and cycling.