Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Last of the acrylics


After I established the darks of the gun and flashlight I washed in the yellow and green to set up a base of the background and hair. I did this in acrylics because I didn't want the ability to pull things out too far in these areas. I'll eventually wash in darker values of gouache, but I will only be able to rub back to this base color.

A note about workable fixative. This stuff can quickly get to a point where it repels water, so I always add a flow improver to my water. Golden acrylics makes something called flow release that's great for the task, or you can just add a few drops of isopropyl alcohol to your water. Be a little careful if you are using paper cups. Adding flow improver to your water will break those things down faster, and that can be a bad thing.

No comments: