Sunday, October 12, 2008

Having a Ball


Don't you just hate it when work, obligations, and life get in the way of a good blog? I've just gone through a crushing few months as a result of a scheduling perfect storm. Things are starting to calm down now and I'm reacquainting myself with long neglected things like this blog, and um sleep.


Pat, a friend of mine from our figure drawing sessions, has given me a weekly reminder of my lack of an updates. Okay Patman, so now that I've finally listened to you, how about a quid pro quo and give me a two-minute stop and check during the next session?


Yesterday was the first of a three-part watercolor workshop I'm hosting here at the studio. It was a solid and friendly group with a nice flow of questions. This first session was primarily a lecture and demonstration, but everyone got to do a few exercises. The next two sessions will be a little more hands on, and I'll get a chance to look over other people's shoulders. It was originally scheduled as a free hour workshop, but I refused to stop painting and the students refused to leave. I think we snuck in an extra hour and a half or so before hunger ushered us out of the studio.

Lucille here was the painting I worked on during the demonstration. She was a great subject and offered countless opportunities to explain a variety of picture making techniques.

8 comments:

Xolecita said...

Hi! I am looking at your blog for the first time and is absolutely impressive. I enjoy to draw as well, but just as a hobby on my free time and sometimes I don't have too much of it, but I really enjoyed your pictures. Keep up this great work!

Craig Zablo said...

Welcome back, Brian. Wow! Lucy makes it worth the wait. As always, thanks for sharing your talents with us on the blog.

Neal said...

Fantastic! Wish I could've made it, maybe some time down the road I'll get back over there.

Neal

Benno said...

When there was discussion about what red-head you should paint for some sort of convention or whatever last year my first thought was Lucille Ball. She was the quintessential hot redhead-though most of us only saw her in black and white growing up. I hate that Amanda couldn't do the watercolor workshop, but we would have to miss the last session and apparently that is the most important one so it will have to wait til next time.

Patman said...

Yay! Glad you returned with such a smokin' hot piece!

I'm going to fight to slow down at that 2 minute mark, maybe I just need to bring a stopwatch or an cooking timer to class...

Brian said...

"I Love Lucy"



Sorry, couldn't resist, plus it is true.

Samax said...

dope!

mary said...

Hi, I am a member of DeviantArt and would like you to know that someone has posted your painting of lucille ball as their own http://constellationpursuer.deviantart.com/art/Red-head-no-return-153362884?offset=0#comments You may want to contact the moderators on DeviantArt

A very nice painting btw :)